The Screencast-O-Matic Website
Screencast-o-matic is a Java-based web application used to create screen-casts A screen-cast is a short video where you can record your voice and show what you are doing on your screen. Some benefits of using Screencast-o-matic over other free screen recorders include a highlighted cursor and click indicators, ease of use, and the fact that there is no software or application to download.
Resources to Help You Get Started
Ways to Use Screencast-O-Matic in Your Classroom
- You could record a lecture that will give you freedom to move about the room.
- You could record a demonstration that you will be giving multiple times. Students can watch it over if needed.
- Teachers or students could create a digital story.
- You could record instructions that are given multiple times a day or week.
- A lecture or introduction for topic could be created with pictures and graphics.
- A screencast for how to get digitally organized could be created, like how to make a folder on the desktop.
- This would be great to record how to evaluate the credibility of a website.
- Anything you have ever wanted to demonstrate on your computer screen can now be recorded for future and repeated play.
- Have students create a tutorial for a cool tool they use on the web.
- Have students create tutorials for software that is installed on their netbook, like Photostory. Pick the best one to share with the entire class to rewatch.