Pixlr, Pixlr Express, and Pixlr-o-matic are a suite of great photo editing tools from Autodesk. All three web tools are free and available online as well as in mobile app form. Pixlr is the most feature-rich with tools that allow for high-end photo editing similar to programs like Adobe Photoshop. Pixlr Express is a great all around photo editor that allows users to perform basic editing functions plus add several nice filters and effects, including text. Pixler-o-matic is a handy on-the-fly editor that includes many of the same effects and filters. The randomize feature in Pixler-o-matic is a fun way to explore the effect of different filters on your photos.
Pixlr Mobile Apps
Example Photo Edited in Pixlr Express
Resources to Help You Get Started
Ways to Use the Pixlr Tool in Your Classroom
- Edit photos for presentations and publications.
- Have students edit photos for presentations and publications.
- Have students create personalized avatars for web environments.
- Teach tone and mood in terms of visual literacy by having students experiment with changing the tone and mood of photos.
- Have students tell a story in photos that were edited in Pixlr.
- Discuss the power of the media to revise history through image manipulation and have students manipulate images to change their meaning.
- Create motivational posters with Pixlr.
- Create story and in-class writing prompts using Pixlr.
- Have students create vocabulary flash cards using Pixlr.
- Have students participate in a weekly photo challenge using Pixlr.